I can start this blog post by sharing the news that I have passed for my second evaluation! This means that I’m now on the last sprint towards the finish line, with ahead of me profile support and the welcome screen.
Yes; you’ve read that correctly: I didn’t mention the button page. I managed to fix that this week and it’s now pending review and some final issues (more about that below). Last week I explained that the biggest issue is the restriction that ratbag places on its key mapping signature. My mentor added macro support to libratbag and ratbagd, so that I could implement the proposed solution to merge the key mapping and macros into one setting, as macros are a superset of key mappings anyway. As you can see in the commit, it’s quite the cleanup. I also quickly added some code to print the proper labels in the button stack page so that you see at a quick glance which button does what. The end result, is this:
Macros aren’t entirely implemented just yet; they still need support for button releases, timeouts and both key presses and releases. However, the basics are in and the PR was getting large, so it’s good to get it merged and do those features separate.
Last week also saw the point where the
rewrite branch got
merged into the master branch.
This means that all of the code I’ve been writing is now officially in use, and
if you pull from GitHub you too can now use the new Piper! My mentor decided it
was time because there have been quite a few
changes in libratbag
and the DBus interface it presents so the old Piper didn’t work anymore and it
makes no sense to update two versions; especially not when the rewritten version
supports almost everything the old one does.
The changes to the DBus interface resulted in an interesting scenario: Piper
maintains its own ratbagd bindings (glorified Python DBus wrappers to
talk with libratbag over DBus), but these are copied back into libratbag for its
ratbagctl tool. When ratbagd is changed, the bindings in that repository are
updated, and when Piper needs updates to its bindings, it updates the bindings
in its own repository. Because both happened simultaneously last week (and in
Piper’s case, in a bunch of different branches as well), syncing the changes
back and forth was an interesting task
4). Luckily my mentor told me
git add -p, a flag I
hadn’t seen before which made the task significantly easier. The issues I
mentioned for the button page are related syncing the bindings and the ratbagd’s
rewritten DBus interface. These aren’t hard; I just haven’t gotten around to
rebasing the buttons branch yet.
My mentor lives on the other side of the globe (Down Under), so we normally have only a few hours overlap a day. This is enough to sync and get some work done together, so this isn’t a problem. This week, however, he was travelling to visit GUADEC (update: the recording of his talk with some background on libratbag is now available) so I wasn’t able to reach him for quite a bit longer. This was in the middle of the DBus changes and macro support, both of which I required to finish the buttons page. I did most of this work based on his WIP branch, but I couldn’t finish it before that PR got merged. Instead of waiting around doing nothing, I started to work on the profile support:
Whilst working on these, I noticed an issue in the bindings: the
notify::enabled signal (which notifies any subscribers of a change to this
property) would be emitted when disabling a profile, but not when
enabling it again. After some debugging with my mentor (who fortunately was back
online from Manchester), we found that when Piper asks ratbagd for a device’s
profiles, a new Python list is returned. Since Piper is only connected to the old
list’s profile objects, it never received the signal on those. The solution is to
simply cache the lists to make
sure the bindings always return the same object.
Up until now I had just been running
./piper.in from the top level source
directory to test my changes. This is less than ideal, especially because it
still requires a compiled resources file. My solution was to generate that
through Meson (
ninja -C build) and then manually copy that into place with
cp build/data/piper.gresource data/, but clearly this wasn’t the way forward.
In this pull request I fixed that.
Meson now takes
piper.in and coughs out two versions:
piper.devel. The latter has some code injected that modifies Python’s search
path so that it loads Piper’s modules from the source tree:
config_piper_devel = configuration_data() config_piper_devel.set('pkgdatadir', join_paths(meson.build_root(), 'data')) config_piper_devel.set('localedir', join_paths(meson.build_root(), 'po')) config_piper_devel.set('devel', ' sys.path.insert(1, \'@0@\') print(\'Running from source tree, using local files\') '.format(meson.source_root())) configure_file(input: 'piper.in', output: 'piper.devel', configuration: config_piper_devel)
This removes any development code from
piper.in and, by extension,
which is arguably cleaner. On the other hand, it does add invalid Python
piper.in so it has to be ignored by flake8. This resulted in an interesting
discussion between bentiss and myself, about whether it’s worth to have a new
source file versus this, well, hack. We settled on merging the PR, because both
generated versions are still checked by flake8, and so by extension so is
Skipping over a few smaller, less visible pull requests, that’s it for this week! Next week I’ll focus on rebasing the buttons branch and architecting the profile support. I expect to spend more time than usual on architecture for that, while the code should then be relatively simpler. Let’s see how I’ll manage to thread this out through the existing codebase!
This blog post is part of a series. You can read the next part about implementing profile support and the welcome screen here or the previous part about the button page here.